The GPRS/GSM Shield provides you a way to use the GSM cell phone network to receive data from a remote location. The shield allows you to achieve this via any of the three methods:
- Short Message Service
- GPRS Service
The GPRS/GSM Shield is compatible with all boards which have the same form factor (and pinout) as a standard Arduino Board. The GPRS/GSM Shield is configured and controlled via its UART using simple AT commands. Based on the SIM800A module from SIMCOM, it is like a cell phone. Besides the communications features, the GPRS/GSM Shield has 6 GPIOs, 2 PWMs and an ADC.
- Quad-Band 850 / 900/ 1800 / 1900 MHz – would work on GSM networks in all countries across the world.
- GPRS multi-slot class 10/8
- GPRS mobile station class B
- Compliant to GSM phase 2/2+
- Class 4 (2 W @ 850 / 900 MHz)
- Class 1 (1 W @ 1800 / 1900MHz)
- Control via AT commands – Standard Commands: GSM 07.07 & 07.05 | Enhanced Commands: SIMCOM AT Commands.
- Short Message Service – so that you can send and receive small amounts of data over the network (ASCII or raw hexadecimal).
- Embedded TCP/UDP stack – allows you to upload data to a web server.
- RTC supported.
- Selectable serial port.
- Self-Powered through Arduino, doesn’t require external power supply.
- Low power consumption – 1.5mA(sleep mode)
- Industrial Temperature Range – -40Ã‚Â°C to +85 Ã‚Â°C
- M2M (Machine 2 Machine) Applications – To transfer control data using SMS or GPRS between two machines located at two different factories.
- Remote control of appliances – Send SMS while you are at your office to turn on or off your washing machine at home.
- Remote Weather station or a Wireless Sensor Network – Mate it with [Crowduino v1.0|Crowduino v1.0] and create a sensor node capable of transferring sensor data (like from a weather station – temperature, humidity etc.) to a web server (like pachube.com).
- Vehicle Tracking System – Couple the GPRS Shield with an Arduino and GPS module and install it in your car and publish your location live on the internet. Can be used as a automotive burglar alarm.